Limitations & solutions
A certified online examination system, called a proctored exam, is expensive. We need to use what we have but keep in mind that these could happen.
- Students will try to open their books or any material they have.
- Students will try to use Google and open websites.
- Students will help each other, sharing answers
- Students will do a screen capture
We can do our best to prevent these. But there is no way to completely stop them from cheating. Try the following solutions to minimize the problem.
- Use an open-book test
- Use open-ended questions (apply penalty for plagiarism)
- Give them just enough time to finish
- Assign a take-home examination (apply penalty for plagiarism)
- For online examination with multiple-choice questions:
- Shuffle the questions and have the quiz runs in a sequence (cannot go back)
- Create a question bank (very effective but time-consuming)
- Do not use the same exam papers on the proceeding semesters.